Reality shows. Love them or hate them, you can’t deny that they do (well most of them!) capture the publics imagination. There are new ideas for reality shows all the time, only some get created and aired and only a handful of them are ‘successful’.
I’m certainly no expert on television, or what makes a really good reality show work well. But I have had an idea for a new show which is, in my opinion, the best idea ever…. 😉
This is something I’ve been thinking about for a long time but never really thought about writing down. Mostly because I’ve always thought it sounds silly. And maybe it does, but I’m writing it anyway!
Shows that involve people (mostly celebrities) learning a new skill and then taking part in a competition to win a title and/or trophy seem to go down quite well. Think Strictly Come Dancing and Dancing On Ice. Of course there are some that don’t work quite so well – think The Jump and that other one that I can’t remember the name of now that was based on learning gymnastics. But if done well, these sorts of shows are the best ones to watch.
You may or may not be aware that I am a former baton twirler. So naturally, my idea for a new reality show is all about twirling! You get a bunch of celebrity types to learn the amazing art of baton twirling and compete each week, on television, to win a coveted prize – some sort of SCD Glitterball equivalent. That sounds quite straightforward right?!
Twirling has all the components needed to make for an interesting show.
- Learning a new skill. And it’s unlikely that anyone would have an advantage, because how many celebrities do you know that have twirled when they were younger?!
- Technique. Twirling requires a lot of technique in both the handling of the baton and the body, in the same way that ballroom and latin dancing require technique to perform the dances correctly.
- Danger. Trust me when I say that if you get hit by a baton, it bloody hurts!
- Spectacular to watch. Twirling is like gymnastics in that it’s an amazing sport to watch when it’s done right. So it’d be appealing to the audience.
- A clear scoring method. That’s crucial to understand when someone has done a good performance.
- Intensity. Will someone drop the baton, will they catch it, will they hit themselves, will they do a clean performance. So much could happen!
- Clear progression of the contestants. It would be clear as day to see for yourself whether someone is progressing.
I mean, what’s not to love?! All sounds great right?
Well, yes it does. But inevitably there will be some things to overcome to make it into a TV show. For example, there are multiple baton twirling associations across the country, all with different events and rules so it wouldn’t be appropriate to use just one associations rules. There’d need to be a brand new set of rules and judging criteria comprising bits of all of the different associations. Plus a brand new event to fit with the rules and a new scoring system. All that takes time to work through and it’d need some serious thought for it to work on a TV show. And I’m sure there would be plenty more obstacles to overcome as well.
So there we have it. My utterly amazing idea for a new reality show that will clearly be a humungous hit ;-). To be honest, it probably wouldn’t be a hit at all, but there’s always room to dream. Of course if there are any TV producers out there who do actually think it’s a great idea, then feel free to contact me and we can talk 😉 Hehehe!
Until next time folks, much twirly love to you all x